Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Favorite Soup

I'm definitely a soup girl. Love, love, love soup. Especially in the winter. When it's 30 degrees outside, I'm not sure you can beat a hot bowl of soup, sharp cheddar cheese, and warm bread or crackers.

On Sunday, before all motivation left me with the onset of snow, I made a pot of Tomato Dill Soup. Paula Dean's Tomato Dill Soup. It is fabulous (not tooting my own horn here, just Paula's).
The first time I made this soup, my sister was lucky enough to be at my house dropping something off and went home with a container of soup to test. She loved it, and so did I. So this time I made enough to share with ol' sister again (she requested it numerous times) and my Mom. I received such positive reviews, and demands to have the recipe, that I decided to share it here.
Of course all credit is due to Ms. Paula Dean. The recipe is found in her book entitled Paula Dean's Kitchen Classics; I highly recommend it.

Tomato Dill Soup
3 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes, or one 28 oz can
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/3 to 1/2 cup white wine
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
3 tbs chopped fresh dill
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped parseley
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine first 7 ingredients. Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Here are my variations:
I used a 28 oz can of petite diced tomatoes.
I processed the tomatoes and onion in a food processor just a little bit because I didn't want chuncky soup.
I used chicken broth instead of white wine.
I used a little more than 3 tbs of chopped dill; the dill flavor is so wonderful!

Thank you Paula!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Soup is the best winter food ever--I will definitely be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love tomato soup especially! I will have to pick up all these ingredients at the grocery to try next week. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete