Friday, December 3, 2010

This weekend my lovely sister Laura, and one of my best friends Laurel, will be participating in the St. Jude Memphis Marathon. I'm so proud of these ladies I can barely stand it. This will not be the first half marathon for Laurel (she's really into this kind of thing), but it will be Laura's first venture. They have both been training hard, and I'm sure they will each perform beautifully. Well...actually I bet they won't feel so beautiful after running 13 miles, or at least I wouldn't.
Running is not my cup of tea. I'm not sure if the italics I used to emphasize "not" truly portray the way I feel about this activity. It makes my hips ache, knees hurt, ankles feel wobbly, chest feel tight and nose burn . Not to mention I can't breathe. In high school we were required to run a mile, four laps around the field, before each soccer practice. Fellow teammates would file in at varying times, each starting their mile at their own convenience. My friend Kitzie and I would maybe run a half  mile, some days just one lap, then sneakily join the other girls that were finished, faining exhaustion as though we too had completed our mile. How pathetic.....and genius at the same time. Kit- my memory could be failing me, if you weren't my accomplice to this laziness, then I apologize.
My disdain for the sport of running spawns my deep appreciation for what these girls are doing tomorrow! What drive, ambition, mental and physical stamina they have! I'm uber impressed and very proud of you both!!

Laura Beth and Laurel Beth- knock'em dead tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

  1. oh geez. you're such a nerd. i love you. thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Em!!! The things you learn years later about your children!

    You just wait; your turn is coming! Ha!

    ReplyDelete