Thursday, December 16, 2010

My hobby

I have always enjoyed taking pictures; I love being able to capture's life's moments in a way that preserves the memory forever. Have you ever looked at an old photograph and found yourself immediately transported back to that moment in time? Being able to recall specific emotions related to the photo? Remembering little details that would've otherwise been forgotten? For me, that is the essence of photography, and the reason I am so drawn to it. I often view daily mundane events through the eyes of a camera; how can I capture this memory in a way that portrays its emotion and guts? How can I make a split second slice of life tell a full story? This may seem cheesy, but it's how my brain works.
My mother is the reason for my interest in photography; she too loves to take pictures and thus I had a camera in my face for most of my childhood. At times I thought it was annoying...always having to wait for Mom to get her camera before I could blow out my birthday candles, or suffering through countless Christmas morning shots...when it was really too early for that much smiling. But I now I get it...and I'm proud to say that I will probably be just like her...if not a little worse.
All the cameras I've had up to this point have been digital point and shoot cameras; perfect compact size made for easy transport, with quick, thoughtless mechanisms. Literally point at your subject and snap the picture, easy as pie. These cameras were great for my college lifestyle, I could throw it in my purse and take a hundred pictures or more without a thought. But I always knew my goal was to someday master a REAL camera. And that day has finally arrived!!
In the late seventies my Mother got a Canon AE-1 camera; state of the art for its time. She used it till the early 2000s or so, when she switched to the easier and more efficient digital model. My siblings and I loved this old camera, and all expressed to my Mother our desires to own it (at different times). My sweet Mom, who does not have the best memory, apparently told each of us that we could have it....not remembering that she had already promised it to the other sibling. She is hilarious. So a few months back she put all three names in a hat to decide who would get the camera, and sadly (for me) my sister's name was drawn. I was heartbroken!!!!
But my dear, sweet, wonderful, beautiful, and giving sister (did I use enough positive adjectives there??), decided to let me use it for a while. Little did she know, she pretty much made my year, no joke. Well besides the whole getting married thing...that was pretty cool too.
Canon AE-1 similar to my Mom's

I have been beside myself with excitement! My underutilized love for photography finally has an avenue for growth. I'm trying to immerse myself with information about this art; I want to learn how to turn the images I see in my head into tangible photographs. How to manipulate the numerous mechanisms of this complicated camera to capture memories. May sound reallly boring to some, but to me it's intriguing, challenging, and super, duper exciting!!
I have already finished two rolls of film...and sadly both turned out to be learning lessons of what NOT to do. I had plans to share some pictures with this post, but I was a little long-winded (as you can tell...I didn't mean for this post to be so long), and now it's 11pm....which is way past my bedtime. Check back this weekend, as I'll share my initial successes, well mainly failures, of this journey.

And lastly....... SUPER thanks to my sister for sharing the camera and allowing me to fulfill this goal. You are the best. Love, love, love you!

1 comment:

  1. You hang in there Emily! You will get fabulous pictures with it! I certainly had my collections of ones that didn't turn out right as well.

    ReplyDelete