Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fullfilling a childhood dream

Today the agency I work for is participating in a community outreach event called Project Homeless Connect. Some of my co-workers and I have volunteered to work this event, and I'm suuuper excited! My shift starts at noon and I'm counting down the hours. I'm not a huge fan of the time I spend everyday commuting to and from work, but events like this make it all worth it.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the homeless population, as I'm sure a lot of people do. My family and I lived in northern Virginia for some of my elementary years, and school field trips almost always involved seeing the sites in Washington D.C. (Looking back, I wish I had realized how lucky I was to live so close to such a historic city). I have memories of sitting on the school bus as we drove around the city, looking out the window, and noticing the large amounts of people that made the streets their home. Even though I was young, and probably not fully aware of what emotions I was experiencing, I can honestly remember being heartbroken for these people, and even crying. My little imagination, and boy did I have an exaggerated imagination, thought up this elaborate plan to provide aid to the homeless. My strategy was to have my Mom make hundreds of raccoon blankets and attach plastic tarps to one side, allowing it to provide warmth and shelter from the rain and snow. What is a raccoon blanket you ask?? It was a quilt my Mom made for me before I was born, and brought me home from the hospital wrapped in its warmth. When older, I coined it 'my raccoon blanket', due to it having little baby raccoons on it along with other forest creatures, but for some reason I fixated on the raccoon. I loved this blanket, (still do, it's on my bed as we speak) and wanted so badly to be able to share its warmth and comfort with others.

Sadly, my plan never came to fruition, but I know my 6 year old self would be happy to know that I'm helping the homeless today. I may not be able to give them each a raccoon blanket, but maybe a smile will suffice.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your raccoon blanket with me. It would be nice to be able to give a bunch of them away and I know you would if you could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, I will never forget your compassion for the homeless. I remember one gentleman in particular that we saw on several occasions in D.C., and how you cried with compassion for him. I know God gave you a tender heart!!!

    ReplyDelete