Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My first homemade pie....sorta

I'm officially in the holiday spirit! The increasing cooler temperatures, the last few leaves clinging to the trees, and the sudden realization that next week is Thanksgiving, has got me all warm and fuzzy inside! I love this time of year and am so excited to experience my first holiday season as a newlywed! Mostly, I can't wait to cook all the seasonal dishes that I've always wanted to learn how to make. I feel as though it's a rite of passage as a wife, at least a Southern wife, to be able to cook scrumptious holiday dishes and have your house smelling delicious from now till the new year. I have many goals for different meals that I want to make, but first on my list is a pie...an apple pie!!

Sunday I scoured my cookbooks for a recipe, and sadly I looked through five cookbooks and didn't find a recipe that tickled my fancy. I wanted something plain and rudimentary; a recipe that captured the true essence of an apple pie (is there even such a thing as an essence of a pie??). Either way, many of the options I found had ingredients like maple syrup, raisins, caramel, and other odd items that I just didn't want to include in my pie.

So I decided to wait until Monday and I would ask around for good suggestions. But lo and behold....first thing Monday morning I went to my best friend's blog (you know my best friend? Pioneer Woman? Ree?) and guess what her new recipe was that day.....Apple Pie!! I swear we are soul-mates. And not only was she too thinking about the glorious-ness of apple pie, she is featuring a different pie recipe everyday this week. I love her.

As much as I'd love to be a great cook like Pioneer Woman, I've opted out of attempting to make the pie crust. I know, I know, I'm cutting corners, and not really making the pie from scratch, but I feel as though a pie crust failure might scar my budding culinary self-esteem, and I may vow to never cook again!!!! Or I'm just lazy, and don't feel like preparing dinner AND a made-from-scratch pie between the hours of 5:30 and 9:30. I think the latter is probably more accurate.

Can't wait to get home and get started!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on the crust. That is just not on my list of food I want to make from scratch...especially when the good people at Pillsbury do such a great job. I'd hate to be putting anyone out of work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 things...how did it go with the pie? and I have those crock pot cook books that I keep forgetting to give you. I'll bring them Friday. They might not be very good but we'll see... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, A working womans cheat apple pie. the 2 pack of pillsbury pie crust. Put one in bottom of 9 inch pie pan get big can of apple pie filling. Taste it if it need a little more cinn or nutmeg or sugar put in to taste. Put other crust on top make your cuts in top. Pop in oven and back as diredted on pie crust box. I think you could fool Jameson with it LOLOL If you go to Cracker Barrel they have best jars of apple pie filling just like granny used to make.

    ReplyDelete