Sunday, October 9, 2011

6 egg wonderfulness

6-egg cake.
Ever heard of it?? Probably not.
It's the name of a cake that my family has made and enjoyed for years and years. I have no idea if that is the actual name, and/or who coined it. I'm clueless as to if any other family has ever enjoyed this cake, or if my Grandmother was the original creator.
I like to think that it is a very old fashioned recipe that most cooks retired years ago, and the Bradleys are the lone family clinging on to this delicious antiquated Southern dessert. This is probably not the case, but my romanticized brain likes to think so. My Grandmother would always serve her 6-egg cake with ambrosia, an old-timey term for fruit salad, furthering my day-dream that we are time traveling to the past whenever we eat it.
I now wish I would've asked my Grandmother where the recipe came from, and why we call it 6-egg cake, instead of something not quite so obvious. But maybe the mystery behind its origin is part of its allure.

In case you are dying to time travel with me to a warm, Southern kitchen of ole', here is the recipe:

2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
Dash of salt
6 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp almond flavor
1/2 to 1 tsp of another flavor (I used vanilla)
Mix ingredients in order given, adding one egg at a time, blending well.
Wax paper the bottom of a bundt pan and butter the sides and stem.
Bake at 315 for 1 hour.

I made this cake last Sunday and it was gloriously easy. I accidentally used a whole teaspoon of almond flavoring instead of half, but I ended up enjoying the flavor. And even though I knew better, I used salted butter to grease the pan, leaving the edges of the cake with a slight salty taste. But to be honest, I kinda liked that as well, and may use salted butter again next time. It is great with fruit salad, sweetened strawberries, and even just plain. I would not recommend icing it, the richness of the cake is enough. 

Overall, the cake was a delight to make and consume. I feel like making a 6 egg cake is a rite of passage as a Bradley girl, and I'm hoping to continue the tradition for my new little family.
Golden Yellow Deliciousness


I think I'll make another one tonight.

3 comments:

  1. It is a Bradley thing, I'm sure of it! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Gommy would be very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom got the recipe from someone many years ago. I grew up learning to cook by making this cake. She took it to the funeral home many times for grieving families to have during their times of loss. She also took it to those who were sick or those who liked to eat. Ha!

    We must ask Aunt Ila or Aunt Eddie if they know the origin of the recipe!

    With love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazingly yummy! Just like Grandmommy used to make! :)

    ReplyDelete