Saturday, February 5, 2011

Inside joke...

"Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee. And I don't mean to!"

To most, that's a great line from an emotional part in a great movie...but to me and my close group of girlfriends it's an inside joke that has surfaced countless times throughout the years. The origin of this saying has left my memory, I have no clue where or when it started....or even really why it was funny....but it always has been.
Jameson and I watched Lord of the Rings last night, and having not seen it in ages, I found myself completely engrossed in every minute. Near the end of the movie when that quirky little line was quoted it struck a cord within me, and before I knew it I was laughing, and the laughing turned to big, fat, crocodile tears rolling down my cheeks. The undying friendship and devotion between little Samwise and Frodo paralleled on so many levels the friendships amongst my friends. The funny inside joke now represented so much more than something we used say to each other that was usually followed by reminiscent giggles. 
I love my friends, and miss them tremendously.
Life changes, as it should; normal transitions to different and exciting new life stages are essential. I've welcomed these changes, and have engulfed myself willingly in each of them, but I can't help but feel a little twinge of sadness every now and then for the ways things used to be. Having your best friends only a room away, sharing bathrooms and secrets, hours of Sex and the City marathons, late night Taco Bell indulgences, and embarking on crazy adventures.
By now the tears were pretty much unstoppable, and poor Jameson was totally bewildered, "WHAT'S wrong?!?", he exclaimed.
But I realized they weren't all sad tears, some were tears of happy reflection; a sense of contentment with the present and fond recollection of the past. Everything is as it should be.
 Girls, let's get together soon.

1 comment:

  1. um, i watched lord of the rings last night. kismet. truly we are meant to be together.

    ReplyDelete